Gary T. Banet
Gary Banet is licensed to practice law in both Indiana and Kentucky. He concentrates his practice in estate planning, estate and trust administration, estate and trust litigation, guardianships, elder law and special needs planning. Gary earned his J.D. from the University of Louisville, Louis D. Brandeis School of Law and formerly practiced law at Bingham Greenebaum Doll and Wyatt, Tarrant & Combs.
Gary currently lives in Floyds Knobs, Indiana where he grew up and attended Floyd Central High School. He is married to Angie Banet and they have two children. Angie is pursuing her doctorate degree in nursing practice and currently serves as the director of care management at Norton Audubon Hospital.
Gary a Business First’s Forty Under Forty recipient, named one of 20 under 40 Best and Brightest by the Southern Indiana Business Source and recognized by Super Lawyers as an Indiana Rising Star Attorney in 2014, 2015 and 2016. In addition to practicing law, Gary is active in the community and serves on several non-profit boards such as the Community Foundation of Southern Indiana and the Floyds Knobs Community Club Little League.
- 2006 - J.D., magna cum laude, University of Louisville, Louis D. Brandeis School of Law
- 2002 - M.S., University of Louisville
- 1999 - B.A., Indiana University Bloomington
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Honors & Awards
- Business First's Forty Under Forty, 2014
- Named one of “20 Under 40 Best and Brightest” business professionals by Southern Indiana Business Source.
- Recognized by Super Lawyers as an Indiana Rising Star 2014-2016, one of only two lawyers in Southeast Indiana listed in the publication under the Estate Planning & Probate Category.
- "So, is your 'Plan' to live forever? - Top 5 reasons for an entrepreneur to have a buy-sell agreement." Southern Indiana Business Source, January 2014.
- "Changing Tax Laws Offer Rare Opportunities for Estate Plans," Louisville Business First, December 12, 2008
- "Attesting, Contesting and Protesting: Will Contests in Kentucky and Indiana," Co-author, Louisville Bar Briefs, October, 2008
Civic & Community Involvement
- Judge Pro Tem, Floyd County Circuit Court
- Chair, elect, Community Foundation of Southern Indiana Board of Directors
- Chair, Advisory Board for Floyd County Community Corrections
- Vice-President, Floyds Knobs Community Club Little League
- Secretary, One Southern Indiana Foundation Board of Directors
- Floyd County Humane Society (Past President), 2006 - 2014
- Floyd County Youth Services Bureau Board of Directors, 2007 – 2014
- "Estate Planning in 2014," Edward Jones, November 2014
- "Estate Planning for Farmers," National Business Institute, December 2013
- "Secrets of Estate Planning for Women," Community Foundation of Southern Indiana, October 2013
- "Estate Planning in 2013," Mainsource Bank, April 2013
- "Do you Need an Estate Plan?," First Harrison Bank, October 2012
- "Estate Planning 101," Wyatt, Tarrant & Combs, June 2012
- "Current Developments, Including the New Portability Provisions," 15th Annual Estate Planning Institute, University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law, April 2012